- 1/2 cup Borax
- 1 cup Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda (NOT baking soda)
- 5.5oz Fels-Naptha Soap (you may also use Zote or castile soap)
- 5 gallon bucket
1. Grate Fels-Naptha bar. Measure out all other ingredients.
2. Bring 6 cups water to a low boil. Add a handful of Fels-Naptha shavings at a time. Melt completely before adding another handful. Add borax and washing soda, stir until dissolved.
3. Add 4 gallons warm water to 5 gallon bucket. Then stir in soap mixture. Cover overnight, the detergent will gel up.
4. Break up the gel by mixing it very well. If necessary get in there with your hands! You can leave the detergent in the bucket or you can funnel it into milk jugs or empty detergent containers.
- Before using your detergent give your container a good shake to mix everything together.
- I use about 1/2 cup per load.
- You may add essential oils, I have never done this because I prefer the fresh soap smell.